Plaza Herrera:: A tranquil plaza dedicated to General Tomas Herrera.
Plaza Herrera was built in 1781 after a fire destroyed much of the area from Avenida Central to Plaza Catedral. It was originally known as Plaza del Triumpho, a stage for parties, bullfights and ceremonies. In 1887, it was renamed Plaza Herrera in honor of general and statesman Tomas Herrera, whose statue sits at the center as a monument to his fight for Panama’s independence from Colombia.
Location: Avenue A and Street 9